Friday, October 4, 2019

On reading Songhees

Songhees: To Work with Good Mind -- Good Feelings
I have a bit of time in Rebecca's office last week while she was speaking with some colleagues elsewhere.

I picked up a lovely coffee table book called Songhees: To Work with Good Mind -- Good Feelings.

Since Victoria is on the unceded land of the Lekwungen Nation (often called Songhees), I thought I could't make better use of my time than reading this book.

I went to Amazon.com to see if I could find a good image of the cover, but they don't carry the book.  I had to look for the publisher.  I think author is really the Songhees Nation, if I can remember any of my library training, probably self published -- a deal at $20


,,, page 67 ...
I am always tempted to pick up a pencil and see if I can sketch images that I see in a book of this nature -- so many fabulous pictures.

On the inside of the book, I think at the frontspiece, there is a beaded image called Octopus Bag, RBCM Collection 4285.

I am going to look for that bag the next time I am in the Royal British Columbia Museum.  And I will probably be looking in some retail shops to see if I can find a knock-off on its shape and style.

As well, who wouldn't want to take a pencil and to to replicate the lines and circles of the image on page 67.

I can feel it shouting to me, "Just try to draw me.  You will find pleasure in the task."

Just one more thing on my list of thing to do if I ever have a moment where I need the kind of rest and relation that a quick doodle can give.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.