Thursday, February 28, 2019

Online Sunday School Week 8

Codes for Annotating Text
I copied the symbols onto the back page
of my Final Report so that I could remember
what they looked like when I want to use them.
I just had no hope than anyone was reading anything with the title of Online Sunday School, since I doubt I would open something that said that and hope I was going to get a good read.

I disabused myself of believing that someone would read. 

Still, I felt the obligation to myself to move ahead, since I really want to have a Sunday School class that discusses the history and legacy of the residential schools.

So when you posted back, Bonnie,  about annotating, I was in a state of disbelieve and total happiness, reading your words over and over, since I have been doing the same thing -- annotating the text as I read.

First of all, you asked what CCDS meant. I had to look for the answer myself and found it was Charleston County School District, Charleston, South Carolina. I didn’t go looking around the internet for long for "the best set of symbols".

I just found a page where people were being instructed on how to engage with a text and went with it. So I copied down the symbols they were using. I put them on the back page of my Final Report: Volume One: Summary. Now the way I am using the symbols, is I keep that page open and I have been using them while I have been engaging in the material I read for Rebecca’s class. So I am getting good at using them in that context, and that is where I am finding the use for the craft sign (the symbol that looks like a piece of macaroni). As a writer, I sometimes stop when I see something that is carefully crafted, because I want to know how someone else brings words together in a fashion that I admire.

And I am also having fun with putting people’s names in the margins. I know that this method suggests using a circle and then putting the person’s initials in the circle. I am finding a better way is to write the person’s name in the margin, but playfully (make the letter tall and squished together, for example) and then I use that for a body and put on the circle for a head and add some arms and legs.

Well, thanks for joining in. Don’t fell any obligation to go at my suggested rate. Fly ahead, or linger on the pages.

Who could be reading the Final Report when indigenous and yes, Canadian history is being made as Jody Wilson-Raybould testifies before the nation.

Which of us will every forget her words, “I am a truth teller” or “Be careful of what you say for you cannot take it back”.

Yours for more fun at Sunday School Online.

Arta

PS  For this week it was read pages 70 to 80.

1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.