Monday, November 11, 2019

Reader Meets Author


I attended a Reader Meets Author event last week at the law school.  
They run a series of talks so that when someone on the faculty publishes a new book, that all can go listen to an event celebrating that publishing.  
John Borrows has published a new book: Law's Indigenous Ethics. 
Four people read the book and were on a panel, discussing the it.  
I just now went out to find out who the publisher is I could write it on the blog and I  got way laid with a description of the book, which some might enjoy:
Law’s Indigenous Ethics examines the revitalization of Indigenous peoples’ relationship to their own laws and, in so doing, attempts to enrich Canadian constitutional law more generally. Organized around the seven Anishinaabe grandmother and grandfather teachings of love, truth, bravery, humility, wisdom, honesty, and respect, this book explores ethics in relation to Aboriginal issues including title, treaties, legal education, and residential schools. 
The hour spent listening to the speakers was an hour well-spent.  I think they will publish some of what they wrote as they responded to his book.  When those get published on the Reconciliation Blog (you can link to it at the side of this blog), then I will put links here.

Until then -- an event I would not have wanted to miss.  John Borrows is an amazing colleague as are the people who responded to him.

As Rebecca and I reviewed what we had heard in the evening, she was reminded again that some who responded from other faculties began their talks by saying that there is a certain fear when responding to people in the Faculty of Law.  That is a feeling in conversation that she hopes will be dispelled some day.

I read parts of the book, but not all. Some has been published before as articles in journals.

I do want to acknowledge that I have changed my practise around respect.

The Anishinaabe's grandmother and grandfather's 7th teaching is respect, which in Anishinaabemowin means to "go easy on someone".

That kind of respect has also been the topic of our conversation during the days that have followed the talk.

Arta


1 comment:

  1. Go easy on someone. I need a daily reminder if that. When I am truly listening to what someone is saying, this 7th teaching of respect comes as a gift.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.