Wednesday, February 10, 2010

London, Wicked

Because I Knew You / I Have Been Changed for Good
February 10, 2010

There were four women on the C2 double decker bus essentially going to Victoria Station, thugh heaed there at different times of the day. Tonia and Zoe split up with us, going more quickly totheir destination. They headed to get matinee tickets for Wicked on the tube – faster for them and they were going to get the £25 front row seats – first come, first served, one each, you have to present yourself at the ticket wicket in person to get a ticket.

Wyona and I headed out to the West End, to Aldwich, to get tickets for Lion King, so that Zoe could see that performance in the evening. And then we hoped on the Central Line to see if we could get Senior Tickets for Wicked’s Matinee.

Part of the travelling fun in London is watching the underground protocol of those who live here. On a two storied escalator, the more staid stand on the right and the walkers take the other isle, brushing the shoulders of those who are smoothly gliding up the 2 floors as we half-walk half-run up the escalator. I wondered how long Tonia would keep that pace for I could feel the burn on the back of my legs. She craftily slipped into a space on the right hand side and selected a position that has a place for me and for her. Two empty escalator steps. And then she laughs at my gasping for breath and said she learned that trick from Wyona...just move ahead as you are going up until you can find a comfortable place to slip in and stand for the rest of the way.

We met Zoe and Tonia later on Tottenham Court Road where there are blocks of stores all selling electronic equipment. How do you choose which store to go into and buy a camera when there are 2 blocks of such stores, side by side?

Sleazy looking,” said Tonia of the store in front of us. “But I have already checked it out.” She led us right in, and to the camera section. Wyona was driving the purchase, since she had told Zoe that this year we will not be doing a scrapbook of her London trip, but will be taking pictures to help remind us of where we have been. Tonia was busy testing the products with the salesman: asking if there is a wide-angle lens on the camera, does the camera do video, how big is the memory card, what is the difference in function of one camera over another. “My job was to remember that when Zoe picks a product to buy, if it is pink, it is better. The final purchase? A pink FujiFilm FinePix Z30.

The main event today wasWicked. I have guilt when it comes to seeing musical theatre more than once. Why would I see the same thing twice? Yet I don’t feel shame when it comes to participating in other events more than twice. Take church for example. Or going to watch a baptism. Or watching yet another episode of Law and Order. I am practising the next 5 weeks in London, trying to get to these theatres without twitching, without hearing that twinge of conscience that still comes as I am approaching the theatre steps, a still small voice saying, “Haven’t you been to this show once, you wastrel?”

I am using Tonia as my model for eliminating guilt. At the intermission today I asked Tonia to tell me how many times she has seen Wicked. Under 10, but over 5 she said. Wicked. I read the beautiful Wicked: the Grimmerie that is here in the flat. I looked at all of the products that you can buy as mementos of a Wicked visit. I walked to the top of the theatre at the intermission. But best of all is the moment that the curtains open.

I asked Tonia if she ever has a tear go down her cheek during some of the songs. She said not an all out bawl, though “Because I knew you” often gives her an emotional response:

I’ve heard it said / That people come into our lives for a reason / Bringing something we must learn / And we are led / To those who help us most to grow / If we let them / And we help them in return / Well, I don’t know if I believe that’s true / But I know I’m who I am today / Because I knew you.

I don’t know what my favourite pick of tunes is – “Defying Gravity” or maybe “No Good Deed Goes Unpunished”. What I should do is go back to the Victoria Apollo Theatre enough times that I can make a definite choice about which is my favourite song. I need practise relieving my guilt about doing something twice.

Wyona is at the other computer tonight, trying to find a way for us to fly from Calgary to the lake when we get back in March. We can go directly to Kelowna for $69. But if we fly through Vancouver, we can go for $39. Add in the fact of her elite status and that means we can have an event together in Vancouver Lounge and fly over the Rockies twice on the way to Kelowna. Nice for me. I get to blog tonight and she plans future travel itineraries for us. The trip beats getting on the Greyhound for the same price.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.