Thursday, June 17, 2010

Richard Pilling -- cherished memories

Rebecca wrote me and said,
I went to sleep last night thinking about time, and grieving. The first day of hearing the news about Richard Pilling is just hard to process..... what to make of it.....it is like the need for time to pull to the front memories of happiness joy and laughter. I am glad to have people help post stories to pull into focus the Richard who was an integral part of my early life.

I don’t think what I am doing is exactly ‘reconstructing’ the past,... rather, having time for a re-remembering the ways in which connections were strong.

I wouldn’t have remembered the tuba, but as soon as someone said it, tons of memories of the tuba came flooding back to me.

And memories of him wearing his university football jacket... such fun.

Rebecca’s writing triggered memories for me, as well.

I, too, have been remembering -- remembering Richard’s writing style which I thought was fluid and clear. When he wrote about history, the subject he loved best, Richard’s essays were a joy to proof-read ... there was nothing to correct ... they were just a good read.

I can remember Richard’s racquet and racquet ball, for some reason, Richard going out the door to have a game with a friend at the university racquetball courts is a strong image for me.

I can remember the name Harry Blankardt, Richard’s childhood friend, ... though I am sure I cannot remember how to spell that friend’s name correctly.

I can remember Richard’s motorcycle and how he loved that vehicle.

I remember Richard as being steadfast when it came to his religious belief, firm and true to the convictions of his own heart.

Remembering him this way feels like the thing Richard would want me to do.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.