Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Merry Widow - report from Wyona



From left, RenĂ©e Fleming, Ms. Stroman and Ms. O’Hara.

CreditSara Krulwich/The New York Times
I went to The Merry Widow with my sister, Moiya, today. She went in Salmon Arm.  I went in Calgary.  We both knew we were watching together.  I too ate popcorn. It was fabulous.

I am going to the encore when it comes on Feb 28 and on March 2nd.  I only wish Glen and Janet had been there with us, wherever they were. I am sure my Mother was watching from heaven. I knew a number of the songs because my mother played that record so many times when I was young. "Vilya"..so reminds me of my childhood, being at home with my mother, Wyora.

Vilya oh Vilya
O witch of the wood
Would I not die for you, dear, if I could?

Vilya O Vilya my love and my bride
Softly and sadly he sighed.

Then I listened to a number of artists sing it on you Tube. Kimm Skota is unequaled in her version of it with Andre Rieu. I had never heard of either of them before.

Kimmy Skota...Vilya Song performing with Andre Rieu-Live

Then here is another version of the song.

Vilya oh vilya oh let me be true
My little life is a love song to you
Vilya oh vilya I've waited so long
Lonely with only a song

Neither of these versions were in the production of the Merry Widow which Moiya and I saw today. The words today were again different. I tried to learn them and I did and then I forgot them.

I am looking forward to the encore is Feb. 28 and March 2nd.

Wyona

PS  If you never tire of reading reviews, here is another from The New York Tines about this production.

1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.