Monday, September 25, 2017

Tulip Festival Hats

Many years ago, when we were in Ottawa for the Tulip Festival, Mary and I bought some hats to keep the sun away. She eventually gave me hers. Now I have two of the same style and I wear one or the other of them every time I am out in the sun gardening, or shopping or walking. I have plenty of other hats but these two hats really work.

Alberta often has a wind that whips headgear off of my head and a hat will go tumbling down the road. I can tie a hat on, or keep my hand on the hat but neither solution is that comfortable. These two hats are just tight enough at the brim that they really work.

Today I wore the blue hat on my daily walk which now takes me to the new Winner’s store at North Hill Mall and back. I get a chance to do some retail therapy in the middle of my exercise. I don’t need money so far. Looking at the merchandise is enough.

Today to return home , I readjusted my hat at the door, making sure the brim was tilted enough that I could see the sidewalk, but not enough that the wind could get at it and I prepared to go the last leg of my journey.

“I love your hat,” said an older man.

“Well, thank you,” I smiled and met his eyes. “That is sweet of you.”

“No, I really mean it. Women don't wear hats much anymore. You look so young and you have the colour of hair I love. Are you single?"

"Yes."

"Could I give you my number? I am single. I am sixty. I really mean it. Let me give you my number.”

I just could not tell him that I was old enough to be his mother.  I ignored anything else he had to say and moved on toward home.

I am not giving those hats away.

Looks like they are good for more than just keeping the sun away.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. Great story. Everyone wants to be your friend. And with good reason.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.