Thursday, February 11, 2021

On Cooking – 60 years Between Us

I see Duncan every day because we are sharing the same office space.

I have the room all to myself from early morning until about noon when he arrives for the afternoon shift.

He and I don’t share the same time for coffee breaks and meals.





One reason is because I have a wider palette than he does. 

He likes sweet potato fries, perogies with fried onions and bacon, and perhaps some sour cream and he likes to hamburger.

True to his youth self his favourite hamburger is bun burger bun.

That means that the equivalent of a run to McDonald's takes more time to get there and come back than if he or I fry a hamburger in a pan and put it between two buns which have been toasted somewhat by putting them on a rack placed above the the frying pan as the hamburger cooks.

When I use this method over the gas fire, I have the feeling that I am camping.


The ground beef can be spiced up with a little bit of salt and pepper and maybe some Worcestershire sauce, but that's only a maybe.

We tried HP Sauce and we didn’t like the caramelizing which was more on the side of charcoal in our experiment.

Last night we were working on the production of the pierogis, with him turning them over in one pan and me with the onions and bacon in the other pan.

When we were finished, we plated up three of our new ivory white dishes, one for Rebecca, one for me and one for him.

Steve was out doing errands and Alex prefers vegetarian.

When Duncan came back up from delivering the food to Rebecca (because God forbid that she would take a half hour to eat since she has meetings back-to-back from 8 a.m. till 8:30 p.m.), 

Duncan said to me, “I love intergenerational cooking.I get a lot of Kudos from people who see me come in to Rebecca's Zoom meeting delivering her food. I don't deserve all of the congratulations since you did half the work, but no use explaining that.”

Arta


2 comments:

  1. don't know what is more fun here... the words, the pictures of Duncan (and his amazing hair), or the pictures of Penny breaking Duncan down so he picks her up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is to be a vote, I am coming in on the side of the amazing hair. THE AMAZING HAIR. So cool. When he comes through the doorway of the kitchen the hair just about touches both side of the door. Amazing hair, how great thou art.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.