Friday, September 29, 2023

The YMCA, little squeeks, beautiful things, and millionaires.

This morning I was swimming at the YMCA.  Taking care of my body, trying to keep everything working.  Usually when you're in a lane there is two sides.  Go right side on the way down and left side on the way back.  Like a little circle.  When someone arrives often people say "you want to do sides?".  It's good for both people because then there's really no space for a third person to swim in that lane.

As I was finishing swimming I heard the young (old) 40/50/60 year old lady beside me say to someone walking up to her  "wanna SHAY-ER?"  She said it in a way that was so inviting.  Not resource controlling but more like 'fun offering'.  Like in elementary school.  I have something great, I want you to enjoy this great thing.  It really touched my heart.  I told her that as I was leaving.  "I just wanted to say, that how you said wanna share warmed my heart".  She said "really?".  Such a warm voice, and smiling crows feet, and an open manner. 

Maybe I go to the YMCA for the people... not for the exercise sometimes.  There's a story in a similar manner in which I had to go to the building manager to thank them for having one of the one-on-one swimming instructor employees at the Y being allowed to be seen.  Non-binary, one piece swimming suit.  Big flippers and swimming along with someone giving them swimming advise and technique.  I admit that as I was thanking the manager for that this employee was here and visible I ended up snotty crying a little bit.  That's a longer story though.

This morning was the first day that an ice scraper was going to be necessary.  As I was letting the car warm up a little I noticed that the roof of my car was in the most spectacular patterns.  I have no idea what the ingredients are to this recipe but the result is such a beautiful moment before leaving for work.  It's un-repeatable but certainly I can appreciate the moment.


Michael went to Branton last night from 6-8pm.  A 2 hour lesson that resulted in all of the band kids him included, receiving their trumpets, their french horns, their personal instruments.  Michael came home with Clarinet.  He wanted to show me what he'd learned last night, and then play hot cross buns for me.  It was such a sweet moment.  The music... unrecognizable.  The sweet little smile and the effort and happiness of his hard work... so beautiful and radiating out of him.






I see a crow and a magpie in the mornings quite often before leaving in the car these days.  The crow always hoping around in the lawn or on the road.  I try to take a few photos and see if I can capture them.  Neighbors with no fixed address.  I'm happy to see them.  The magpie flew right up to me this morning as I had two pieces of raisin bread in my mouth.  I could tell that he was interested but I couldn't empty my hands and pull off a piece for him before he'd flown away again.

I've been thinking about that women in the pool this morning.  I know who I want to be around.  I'd rather be around a kind soul that wants to include and share a moment together, than a millionaire who wants to play a game of golf with me on the local course.  More and more, I see that the people that I'd prefer to commit my time to aren't the ones with fantastic amounts of resources offering to play contrived games in the guise of high society with me.  They are the ones that think about the children in the back of their minds.  These people are concerned about the greater social experiment and whether we are making life more bearable for the least of us.  I propose that those who are community concerned are better people than the ones whom are only concerned about those in the country club.   And their place in that country club.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.