Saturday, February 4, 2012

Shows on the Ship

... the theatre curtain ... an art show in itself ...
A person can't do it all on the ship.

That is why cruisers keep coming back.

The Alhambra Theatre has two shows every evening, one for the early diners and one for the later diners.

As well, on some nights a third show happens there -- a game show of some kind, focusing on newly weds or using the theme of who wants to be a millionaire or even a late-night comedy show.

Alex and I sat in a performance one afternoon, an eastern European pianist playing well-loved classical numbers like the Moonlight Sonata.

Alex turned over to me and said, "She is good," when he saw her fingers fly up and down the keyboard.

She also played background music as we ate at night. I thought her afternoon performance would not fill the theatre and after taking my seat in the fourth row from the front, I didn't even look around. It wasn't until Alex and I were leaving that I saw she had a full house, both in the stalls and the balcony.

 ... fries, a milkshake and a hamburger from the 1940's ...
Food is everywhere in the ship. A continuous buffet happens in the Wind Jammer all day and evening. Three meals a day are served from set menus in the dinning room until 10 pm. Three snack bars operate on the mall 24 hours a day.

But Johnny Rockets is none of the above. For a $5 cover charge you can have onion rings, fries and a hamburger like the ones some of us drank in the 40's and 50's. Wyona asked the question, "Why", since there is a continuous burger buffet as well in the Windjammer. But there is not the change to add a beverage to that -- a milk shake to be purchased with the half-price coupon in a cruising book.

Others must have felt like Wyona, for when ever I would walk by Johnny Rockets I would look in the window and I don't think I ever saw more than two couples in there, enjoying the past through a retro hamburger joint.

Still ... a place for fun from the past for everyone on a ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.