Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Hunting / Finding

 I knew that I had to write a post after beginning the hunt.  Monday was the first day of early Elk.  I went on my own because my hunting partner needed to rest.  


When I got to the area, more people than I was comfortable with were already hunting.  So I spent the majority of my hunt going from area to area and confirming who owns what property still, and exploring where which animals were spending their time.


I started on the Gardners property north of 532, but there was 6-8 trucks of people in at 8am when I arrived.  I moved up to the Gardners north property but there was 4-5 trucks there.  So I drove to the east side of the north area to scope the land.  I watched two groups of hunters walking back to their trucks but didn't see many animals.







After that I drove up to the Joworskis, talked to Jim for a bit.  He told me that Larry's property has elk on it right now.  So over to Larry I went.  He had already given all permission out but he carved out a day for me to work his north property on friday.


Here are some photos of driving out to the hunting area at sun up.











After that, for a short while I was appreciating the cattle being moved out of the one section.  The farm hands were pushing the herd down the road towards a loading area.









Then I drove past these fence posts half a douzen times trying to get this murder while they were sitting.  But I didn't catch the photos when I had the opportunity.  I only got two action photos of them flying away and one shot of a single crow moving up to the top of a power pole to get away from me.









Lastly, as always, i drove past the McPhersens and there were mulie on the east face of this hill.  Without fail I find deer on this side of the hill on the highway.










So now to the sad part.  On the last ten minutes of the drive home I started thinking about Arta's reactions / feelings when I would be hunting.  It was a different pride that I didn't always see from her.  It made me cry pretty hard for the last ten minutes of the drive trying to deconstruct this idea.  I loved that she loved that I hunted.  It's a difficult thing to express.  It was a bit like a piece of her that I got to keep to myself.  I hunted, she beamed when I would tell her stories like the one above.  She was like a hunting partner to me in many ways.  

That's enough sharing for now.

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to think I am your second biggest hunting fan, but I think there might be a tie for second place with many others. I love how connected I feel to the land through the photos you take and share. It makes me so happy when I get a photo from you of a hunting day sunrise. I proudly tell people that my brother hunts and is taking my daughter with him on his learning journey. I'm so sad (word does not capture depth and breadth of feeling) Arta is gone and my tears sneak up on me at both predictable and unpredictable times. Thank you for sharing this precious reflection with me. I know you wrote it down just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep.... what a joy to follow you on this hunt through the photos. Yes, she was happy you hunted... it is another connection to granddad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you missed your chance to get one of those cows in your trunk and pretend like you thought it was a deer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I can be confident in saying that I couldn't get a cow into the trunk. Not without a machine to lift it. Hard to pretend it was an accident that I shot a cow when I'm using a front end loader to lift it into the truck bed.

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.