Friday, January 7, 2011

Going Down to the Sea

I am staying on the land side of the highway. I have 3 ways to walk to the sea. One is to wait for the traffic light on the highway to turn green. I like that crossing, for on either side of the street are respectively, a large grocery story and a small shop that sells only fresh vegetables. The vegetables line the walls in the smaller store and I have to reach high for the celery, and go down low to pick up the lettuce. I took the last of the 2 pineapples – the other pineapple seekers will have to wait until tomorrow´s produce truck comes.

As well there is an underpass that will get me across that busy street. At the bottom of downward slope of that crossing is a sign telling holidayers to watch out for pickpockets. Bonnie shudders at the sign for the images of the pickpocketers are racialized with menacing faces. I wonder why the sign is there at all, for I have never passed anyone in that underground tunnel. But I am here in a low tourist season.

The third underpass has a lift. Anyone who can´t do the stairs, should use this underpass. David likes this and can stay there for a long time running from one elevator to the other, going up at one side of the corssing and down at the other. Indeed, this coud be a daytrip for him. While he is operating elevators, I stand on the north side of the street and look at the daycare. Behind the iron gates, there are 22 buggies and/or strollers into which the babies will be placed for their walks home tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.