Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Oven Safe to 500 degrees F

Among my list of jobs  today was to get to Canadian Tire.  Would you believe that while I was standing at Marks Work Wear House in the North Hill Shopping Centre, looking at their sidewalk sale, someone called out from a car to me, “Do you know where Canadian Tire is?  I am from Ontario.”

“You are in the wrong shopping centre,” I said returning an answer to the caller.  “But you can get there from here.  Just go out the Trans Canada to Shagannappi, go north and eventually you will see it on the left hand side.  Did you know that if you can’t find what you are looking for at Canadian Tire, you don’t need it.”

The kids in the back set of the car laughed. I have had Glen’s phrase on my mind, since I had seen a Kitchen Aid 5 Quart Covered Dutch Oven on sale in the Canadian Tire Flyer– regular $150 for $50 ... on sale until August 10th.  Wanting this pot is not a case of needing one, in my world, but I had seen the cast iron Dutch oven discussed on my favourite cooking show “America’s Test Kitchen” in the segment of the show where they critique kitchen appliances and gadgets.

WARNING ... lid rusts when stored on pot
Since then, I have been searching the web for the cheapest price, even checking out the Walmart who only carry this in the U.S. and not in Canada, I was told. I held off buying for a number of months now.  But today, I was asking myself, am I ever going to find a cheaper price, and if this has been on my mind this long, perhaps it is better to put it to rest by making the purchase.  I will probably save the amount of money I pay for the product, in the gas I will spend as I drive to all of the kitchen shops in town. My only problematic consideration was ... am I going take it to BC or use the Dutch oven here.  Alternately it did pass through my mind that I might buy one for both places to which I laid out the argument, I am getting to old to cook anymore and I should perhaps just return home for one of those afternoon naps old people take. That was enough to get me into the car, put my foot on the gas, and try to stay young by making my ovenware purchases ... and being pleased when my $100 receipt which said, “You saved $200 at Canadian Tire today.”

Tonight, I studied the descriptions on the box amazed to see that my purchase has a self, basing lid, a rich porcelained enamel finish, and a cast stainless steel lid handle, complete with silicone inserts.  As well, I have been running recipes off of the internet:  Boeuf Bourguignon, Coq au Vin, Chicken Rolls Spanish Style– all to be made in my new 5 ½ quart Dutch Oven(s). 

Thank you KitchenAid and Canadian Tire.  You have been a lot of fun.  The pot has entertained me well.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm...your post makes me wanna eat dinner all over again. Or at least try a new recipe.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.