Saturday, December 18, 2021

A snowy day at the lake

Lovely piles of snow... 
The weather forecast last night said we would have a heavy snowfall today.   

I wonder sometimes what the 'heavy' means.  Does it really mean heavy, or just 'lots'?   

The snow didn't seem to be coming down when we went to sleep last night, but it had clearly made an appearance during the night.


The flakes were coming down, but they certainly had a lightness to them.  
In the face of snow, my first impulse is no longer to run outside into it, but... there was the dog to think of.  And so, we kitted up for an expedition into the white. 

My West Coast life has undermined my alleged Alberta-hardened snow-preparedness, but never less  I was appropriately dressed in knee high winter boots (bought pre-pandemic for a trip North that never happened), seal skin mitts from Iqaluit (thanks Aju Peters), a knitted Coast Salish wool hat (thanks May Sam), and a coat loaned to me by Bonnie Wyora! 

Hey!   Can't even SEE my hat under all that snow!

There was only one set of tire tracks on the road (Uncle Dave returning home from work late last night), and they provided us with a parallel set of paths to walk in.

One set of tire tracks on the road

Adding my own 'angel wing' tracks

Of course, on the way back home, I couldn't resist the urge to leave my own marks in the snow (which was midway up the calf this morning).

 Here are some more images and videos from the morning walk:

1. Penny the wonder dog is really loving the snow (she hasn't seen much of it in her life as a Victoria dog). Here is a clip of a boy and a dog as we start our walk in the snow https://youtu.be/ZgdbJngyPBI


    
2.  A 45 second clip of scrunching in the snow (seconds before I decide to make more lovely tracks https://youtu.be/8992K7RkeYs 



3.  Here is a panorama shot taken at the middle of our own Shuswap "5 Corners". https://youtu.be/VKQjrTAsbEk



So, there you go.  Some visuals for those of you who want a virtual visit out to the lake!  We will see if the day brings us even more snow!










7 comments:

  1. Spectacular. Just spectacular. I am imagining I am there with you on that walk. I know how much harder you have to work walking through snow. It's like you walked twice as far as you actually did. My own recent walk here in Gatineau have been fresh snow on top of slick ice, so sort of deadly on the falling probability side of things. Walking with all that extra tension in your body trying to balance and not fall makes the walk 3x the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desiree and her kids are here now, and had the toboggans out on the road down to the lake. Wow to their speed and handling! :-)

      Delete
  2. Penny should be renamed, Penny the wonder bunny from all her hopping and jumping. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm super jealous of your blue mitts. The colour is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm super jealous of being in the shuswap for christmas. more than a decade ago Miranda and I were there for christmas. We endulged in saki and tpb the whole time. Now saki goes with trailer park boys, and no christmas has warmer memories. Love the videos, I can imagine myself there.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.