Thursday, December 2, 2021

Thinking About Musicals

I've been thinking a lot about musicals lately.  I write that as though I don't think about them a lot regularly...  but I do.  I jut love musicals.  All of them. 

But with the passing of Stephen Sondheim, and then today, the google banner is a tribute to George Seurat's pointillism painting "Sunday Afternoon" I was suddenly transported back to the basement at 2427 26th Ave N.W. watching Bernadette Peters belt out "Sunday in the Park with George."

Click here to watch the scene:  Sunday in the Park with George

I always laugh at what happens at minute 2:20 in the above scene.

While I give most credit to Arta for bringing music into my life, I think that Sondheim came to 2427 via Doral and his obsession for "Into the Woods." So sending out a song to the both of them today.




13 comments:

  1. Eeep! It's my Patinkin. I love him so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how I can make my kids watch Bernadette's into the woods. I'll have to see if I can stream it or something. I am certain that we'll not still have that VHS that we had a copy of it on in 2427. Oh, but wouldn't that be a joy if I could find it.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woops.... disregard. I googled it. Expect that my children will be watching this TONIGHT for movie night.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqCsQCsinK4

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fifth commenter. first fifth while talking to myself....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Six!

    Do not watch at work, unless you feel like a good cry. My mandy. 3:40. Avoid 3:40 until you have ten minutes to yourself.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxmfxltddV8

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard, you are a jerk to post that.... so then do you want to try this one too?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a841zBsszQ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, that rendition by Patinkin gets me every time. for more tears, try this one:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLKbc2hvxk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh man... between you and Richard. I could only listen to the first 6 notes, and then i had to stop the video. I think there is some very bad sharing behaviour going on here!

      Delete
    2. Wow..... I'm not sure whether to express anger sadness jealousy or joy. You win Mary. Wow. I'm jealous that you found the perfect one, angry that this is so close to home, but so so joyful. Witches can be right, Giants can be good.... It's the prequel phrase to "wicked the musical". 4:12. We can make it so... Wow. Wow.

      Delete
  8. Mary I too made these connections. I shall watch the show and let the tears flow. Need some good tear therapy...yes that's it, I'll think of it as therapy and connection. Love that my aunts, uncles and parents introduced me to the finer things in life, plays, poetry, art, musicals. We are so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.