Thursday, February 24, 2022

Richard, most of the time you are a nice person, sometimes you are not....

 I warmed up the machines in the shop today.  An air hose that hangs from the roof got pulled into a machine and pulled down half of the metal air lines.  It was a fairly dangerous event while no one was in during the morning.

Of course I didn't mean to, of course I didn't like it.  I try to monitor my feelings and my reactions.  Why am I feeling this?  I texted the owners group and said "pulling it down, nobody is hurt".  Jack, who I head butt with fairly regularly walked by, didn't say anything mean when he saw me and the damage.  Ten minutes later I got a reply on the group text.  "I said 100 times close the door before spins".

I lost my mind.  

I went and yelled at him, I told him does he want to tell my bosses that?  Does he want to tell me that in front of my bosses.  I'm sure that I was using the booming voice that I don't always know that I'm choosing to use.....

I did apologize later in the day.  When he passed by me once in a while he would ignore me... or walk slowly somewhere else without looking over to me.  Finally I wrote down on a note pad "Jack I am sorry" and it made a night and day difference.

"We are the same you and I".

and then later in the day.  

"Richard, most of the time you are a nice person, sometimes you are not".


So I absolutely was the grieved person.  I absolutely was ready to quit, leave, and thought that I was being treated with unkindness.  What I take away from this experience is a bit confusing.  I worry that it's an unhuman way of acting, but when I was analyzing the situation before the apology, this is what I saw.  Someone hurt me, but they were now walking around like an injured puppy.  Did I hurt them?  Was I the cause of them not looking after me or worrying about my needs?  I needed them to not be a whole other problem that I had to deal with.  I needed to find a way to apologize to test the waters of his trouble.

It worked, and like a flower opening up, everything started getting better.  He was coming to me to talk to me.  He was mending our relationship.  I didn't have to do much, just write down on a pad of paper.... "I'm sorry Jack".

Here is a picture of a silly grade one girl to lighten the mood.


Also, I own that statement.  Richard, most of the time you are a nice person, sometimes you are not....









8 comments:

  1. OMG. I think I have that same face that Betty is making in MOST of the photos I appear in. Is it genetic?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this. In my more recent adult life I have been working at apologizing more. I find it really takes the wind out of people's anger when you say sorry with no "buts" attached. Even if I may not be sorry. I was explaining this to the teenage daughter of a friend of mine last week. She felt harmed and that no one was taking it seriously. She lashed out. It had really bad consequences. When eventually in our conversation SHE came to the place where she thought maybe she could appologize to the school pricnipal, I told her that her pricipal would remmeber it and treat her differently/more positively going forward if she appologized. I find it can be hard when you appologize and hope the other person will recognize their part or the harm they did to you. but even if they don't recognize their own part, you just have to move forward. Now I am rambling. Love you Richard. Love that you took that step to mend the relationship. Love that you shared the story. If we don't share stories, we don't learn together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that analyzing others is key. I owe 'mending' of that person. Sure, I am broken but I am less broken if I correct the damage that I did to someone else. The challenge for me is seeing the damage and knowing it was caused by me.

      On the wind out of sails topic... I now know verbalizing immediately helps a ton. Tony was raising his voice and implied whatever about cost to a supplier. I immediately said, "you are mad, I'm not sure what I did" and it took all of the piss out of him. Because he either had to deny he was mad or explain to me why he was or what I did. It was amazing.

      Delete
    2. OMG I love this. I'm putting it into my toolbox.

      Delete
    3. You're mad.... I don't know what I did.

      Not "did to make you mad". Just ... I don't know what I did.

      It might become a staple on how to defuse hot heads...

      Delete
  3. I'm gonna make t-shirts for both of us: most of the time I am nice person, sometimes I am not....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would wear a shirt that says most of the time I am a nice person, sometimes I am not. :p

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.