Monday, February 7, 2022

Snowshoeing at Shuswap

 The First Snowshoe Trip


Chelsea T and I went to Shuswap for a few health and wellness days. While I had been at the Lake in February over 10 years ago with Arta, I had not been back at this time of year since then. I needed some quiet thinking time so we headed to quiet winter Shuswap.

We brought new snowshoes and walking poles with us and headed out to see what roads and paths would be worthy of our walking skills. 

The best Shuswap view with winter touches.

As we ventured out it was so quiet and the clouds hung low on the mountains. 

Tonia on her way!

I lead the way down the new road to Marcia's lot. We knew the snow would be deep and the views spectacular.

Obligatory Selfie with Bastion Mountain!

Chelsea T and Bastion Mountain

The clouds were perfect and they drew our eyes toward the mountain I am so familiar with, highlighting the roundness of it's shape. 

Chelsea T and our lovely homes.

One More View



Down the steep hill we walked, following the stream that separates the property, down to the beach.



The views of the quiet and serene forest were tall and overwhelming as we took the time to pause and look up. Always look around while in nature as you never know what is behind, above, beside, and around you unless you rest a moment to take it all in. 


We hopped a stream as we made our way along the property. This is the road Greg has been clearing so we can reach the path that leads to Old Sicamous Road. 


Deeper into the wood we go loving the crunch of the snow beneath us.

The Second Snowshoe Trip

Greg and I headed out a few days later for another trip around the property. We walked along the paths across the back lots, then visited several of the front lots. Stunning day with more sun shining down on us.

Greg enjoying the view!


A quick selfie of the snowshoeing duo.


The forest surrounded us.


What a visit and retirement!


Take the time to visit Shuswap in the winter and bring your snowshoes and poles as you can travel into the forest and enjoy a quiet moment of wellness and serenity.

9 comments:

  1. thanks for the photos. I love both skies, the silvery grey one full of clouds, and the amazing blue! I can't believe you can snowshoe! or that you even HAVE snowshoes!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Costco for affordable snowshoes. It is the easiest of all the outdoor snow activities which is why I like it.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy for this post. Fantastic! I never go to the shuswap in the winter, but 15 years ago we made some memories in the snowy shuswap and I'll always wish that we could go again. One day! Thanks for the post Tonia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth a trip, especially to play in the snow and enjoy the peacefulness of the forest. Add to bucket list.

      Delete
  3. Oh my heart. I love everything about this. But the photo looking up at the trees, just wow. I was transported to that spot instantly. I am so, so happy you and Chelsea made it out for a winter visit. I will do that some year soon. Loved seeing photos of you and your dad together too. Wyona and Greg have very special places in my heart. As do you Tonia. And of course, Chelsea and I were instant nerd buddies through our mutual love of municipal infrastructure, bwahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are amazing Mary! Love you too! Thank you for the photo compliment. I like how that particular picture gives you a sense of the height of the trees.

      Delete
  4. I just may crack out my snowshoes and poles and try to follow in your footsteps this weekend. How fun to read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let us know how it goes. The small trail Greg has been clearing for several summers in a row that leads you past the old Meadow to the incline up to Old Sicamous Road is beautiful. You even get to hop over a small stream as part of the experience. Return and report. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could've been there. It would be hard for me to not pack swimming suits though because that is what I usually pack when I go west.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.