Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Graduating, June 28 - 2023

Capitol Hill Elementary was a good choice.  I wanted them all to go into Banff Trail but there have been wonderful surprises that came from this elementary.  For example principal Johnson that taught us to read to our children.  So many problems avoided by turning these children into readers.

Michael fortunately, or not, is the guinea pig.  I experience everything with him first.  A first parent is always experiencing extremes.  The first projects day I was amazed and took so many photos.  The others, sometimes I didnt even go.

Probably similarly, his grade 6 graduation was almost more for me.  I cried the whole presentation.  Who knows if I'm over it now or not.  

An hour, maybe an hour and a half.  First some songs by the grade 2 kids.  Then a song presented by the graduating kids.  Finally they got in line and each had a walk across the 'stage'.  

The biggest problem with this day, was that his little sister was in the grade 2 class for a song to the graduating kids.  Whether by intention or by accident, the children choosing 'try everything' by shakira just fully opened my flood gates.  Even now I think about her singing to her older brother that he should go out into the world and 'try everything' and it gets me all torn up.

 







During the power point presentation every child had a screen to show memorable saying and things about themselves. 


A really fancy ice cream shop down the 19th hill in hillhurst had an icecream truck and donated giving everyone an icecream on the graduation day.  Much appreciated.



When I tried to do a selfie with everyone on the b ench, I got a really good shot.  But I chose the selfie portrait or something.  So I only got the most important person in the shot....



And the shot that I did get of everyone on the bench, I successfully got everyone with their eyes closed.  Except Miranda, but almost everyone with eyes closed.








Michael the little gentleman.



I used to post for Arta to read.  Like I used to take tons of photos and share them with her so that she had these piles of things to look at if she had the time and needed a pick me up.  Now that we are so far past the day that we lost her, I'm starting to think that I'll keep doing this.  It's not for her anymore.  There are other people to share these little memories with.  It feels like a shift for me.


2 comments:

  1. Agreed! The year we were in London, I did posts for Verlaine to read. But I am so happy that i did that work, because when i go back now, i see those posts were really a super gift to me and the kids. :-) (what i don't record, i don't remember)! I loved reading along you with you (loved the singing, the images and the icecream!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooove Michael's spotlight on himself. Just seeing the words "try everything" open my floodgates again. I remember you showing me the video of Betty's class singing it this summer. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.