Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 1&2 Failed Metro Robbery! Lost Pictures!!

Sunday, Nov. 7,2010
Greg and I, being Wyona, are in the Lufthansa lounge drinking and eating all we can before we board our flight to Frankfurt. Greg logged into Wifi but we only get 15 minutes and it took 3 of those to log in. We checked in over 3 hours before departure and our seats are not even together. At least we each got a window seat. Maybe someone will trade. Greg plans on using the computer on the airplane to start reading LaRue shareholder loan files that Glen conveniently loaded on our laptop while we were in BC.

Bottomless coke here!! and bottomless wraps and sandwiches...beats Air Canada lounge. Thank you for the ride to the airport Charise. On the way here we dropped off Moose Securities files to Al, the accountant so he could do the year end report. Our Barcelona destination has changed, so if you would like to telephone us, until Thursday, then call Charise for our telephone number and hotel.

Lurene, I wish I could go to your performance at least one more time. I still have some tears left for it. If you have not been to Chess......

Next day: I got logged off in the middle of my post but I was doing it on email so it was saved!

Day 2: Robbery
Here we are in our hotel in Barcelona. Greg wants to go back to the Luftansa lounge in Calgary and have another dark bread sandwich. Our hotel is 55 euros with breakfast, clean, sparse, just 2 blocks away from the Ramblas. We took a short 3 hour nap from 3 to 6 p.m after arriving. Hard to get up but off we went to the metro to go, go, go!

I stepped on the metro, was just standing waiting for Greg to follow. I looked over and he was surrounded by four men whom he could not get around. They had him pushed in a corner of the metro car. I saw Greg pushing a couple of them hard, he was mad, I heard yelling while Greg was trying to push his way through the blockade. I started over there like I could save him, hah! The guys yelled at him like 'what are you doing' and they made their way quickly off the metro before the doors close.

It was done the same way Arta and I were robbed in Paris. There are 4-5 guys who push and surround you while one person searches your pockets. Greg kept his money but the whole experience leaves a person in a bit of shock.

We continued to Sagrada Familia, a grand church begun in 1906 and still not finished. Cranes are in abundance but this huge, ornate, edifice was standing there swallowing up the dark sky. Magnificent! Then we carried on the Catalonia Place, another square with great fountains and orange flowers. Checked out the hop on hop off bus for tomorrow. Bought ice cream bars, 10 in a package...sat in the square taking night pictures...could only eat 7 bars so we passed the other 3 off to a beggar.

I took a number of pictures on the night setting so I could blog with them tonight. Arrived back at the hotel after 11 p.m. Did a great job of following Marcia's instructions on downloading them, edited and deleted them, reformatted the STD card. Began blogging, went to find the pictures. Boo Hoo!! All I could find was the file with the correct name on it but nothing inside of it. I searched the HD looking for my lost pictures. Nothing there! And to think that I already reformatted the STD card. Tomorrow I will not reformat until I can find my pictures. It is 2:30 a.m. here now.

A wonderful holiday so far! Greg still has his life and money. I will do a better job of saving my pictures tomorrow. Love, Wyona

4 comments:

  1. I'd say exciting, but that's hardly the emotion that we're talking about here. glad he got away with his most important possession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go dad go! Make a fuss and look crazy, that is one way to get thieves to leave you alone. Wasn't the Sagrada Familia just stunning! All of Gaudi's work as about brining nature into the places you live. The church is meant to replicate being in the middle of a forest. The large pillars branching out just like a tree, and the star like holes is the break of the sunlight through the trees. They also look like stars in the midnight sky. Each side of the cathedral is a completely different style of architecture and you can get lost in seeing different animals, people, allegories, etc. Loved it! You can also get things stolen easily, because while you are looking up, someone's hand is in your pocket!

    Way to thwart the thieves! Keep loving Barcelona and stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you look at my blog from Spain it looks very cool on my 'who has been here recently' list. Keep lookin' cuz it makes me feel international! Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you talk about the robbery, I can see right where I was standing, right where you were standing on the metro when you were robbed and I can feel the jostling and pushing. Dumb thieves. My bet is that you would have had twice as much money in your pocket as Greg.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.