Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Copenhagen ... and a mermaid

View from the outdoor patio of the restaurant
Wyona is a good tour leader taking a novice like me and making sure I have the opportunity to see what is available to do.

The minute we got on the boat she showed me the way to the Windjammer, a beautiful restaurant on Deck 11.  While others carry the luggage (finally).

We were alone at our table, for others preferred to stay inside.

She and I had the deck to ourselves, except for members of the crew who also found their way out to eat and enjoy both the air and the beautiful sights that can be seen when a ship docks.

Sunset on the Baltic Sea
As well, on the first night, she was quick to show me what the evenings look like as the sun goes down.

There is so much to do onboard that few people are on deck at this time of night.

Bands are playing in 4 different night clubs.

Added to that, people are at dinner, or enjoying an evening in the movie theatre or enjoying their seats live theatre (singers, dancers, jugglers, ariel artists, etc.).

And outside, the sea is going by and the sun is setting.

Mermaid
By the time we were loaded on buses in Copenhagen for my first adventure on land, I could see that the quicker I got to see the famous mermaid, the closer I would be to her.

I scrambled down over rocks and boulders to get this picture.

Then I walked the perimeter of the harbour, where I found a well paved path that led me to her destination as well.

I spent the rest of the morning watching the Changing of the Guard at the Danish Palace. Everyone was given two hours of free time.

I listened to the military band, enjoyed the gun salute, watched the officers change places, and stood back the horses performed a military tattoo.

Changing of Guard at Danish Palace
Wyona is skilled at running along, probably from those years when she watched Teague and Lurene play in the marching band on Parliament Hill.

I was also practising taking care of my purse.

There is no port where a general warning is not given to tourists: take care of your wallets and your passports.

Signs to that effect are posted everyone -- even in London, I might add, where at the Embankment Tub Station there is a big sign saying that this area is well known as a spot where people can loose their money or precious identity papers.

I am usually a few steps behind Wyona, since there is no use me leading the way ... given I usually don't know where I am going.

She keeps her bag close to her side.

I follow suit and away we move, having the time of our lives.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. You two look gorgeous. In the statue behind your head, I wonder if the rider has a whip in his or her hand, trying to force the horse to go as fast as you and Wyona.

    How fun to see the image of the mermaid. Rebecca and I did not get up as close as you did, but I do recall seeing her there on a rock in the sea in Copenhagen. How lucky was I to travel in Europe at age 19 -- no, how supported was I by the Bates family. =)

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.