Sunday, April 25, 2021

Pins #1

Knowing that I am dying puts an unusual twist on jewellery that I still know and love.

One of the important ideas about adornment for me, is that I do it mostly for others and not for me. This is one of the true to the max ideas when it comes to adorning coats, and bags.

Bags sometimes need a pin to keep a clasp closed. Sometimes they need to have a pin to keep two clasps together.

Loving pins if a very old-fashioned idea I am told.

Why that makes me laugh is that it feels good to thought of as old fashioned.

I notice that when I go to church wearing a pin and I see another woman like Peggy Estabrooks also with old fashioned ideas of adornment I make extra special sure to see what she has used or maybe see if she is answering a question for me, why would I want to use the pin in this case and in this place.

Mary kept me busy one night. I was trying to find what pin to use and why. One pin was given to Deb Curran as a thank you gift for a talk she gave in Northern Canada. Because Deb doesn’t use pins and Rebecca might, that is how the pin ended up into Rebecca’s box of old-fashioned jewellery (ie: pins) which in this case marks only 10 pieces. The other 9 pins that were there, that had not been gifts were pins she had that had belonged to her mother-in-law, Verlaine.

A couple of nights ago Mary delighted me by listening to the story I associate with every one of my pins. I may be described 5 pins, but I am sure I have 25 others. One thing for sure, the rest of my night felt more calm believing, as it were, that I had finished off my life’s work, of associating the right pin with the right story.

3 comments:

  1. Arta, you are so much older than me, that is why you love pins. I think I remember Wyora wearing pins even though she did not have much jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A joke only a beloved sister could make. So funny.

      Delete
  2. Now how could I not know pins on bags might be holding one (or even two) clasps closed? Your musings really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.