Sunday, March 27, 2022

Fool's Chicken (was Chicken and Chives)

In my recipe binder is a printed email from 1998 written by my mom, Wyona Bates. Over the years we have added handwritten details to help us perfect the recipe (which we haven't yet).

I tried it once in the Instant Pot (I.P. in handwriting below) but it didn't work, the sauce isn't as flavourful nor was it thick enough. Just fry the chicken in a frying pan as instructed, then do a roux and the sauce, then cook it all in the oven. Serve over rice. It's so good. I never cook it for 50 like my mom did, but it is a good one for large crowds. 





2 comments:

  1. One of the best recipes of our youth! One worth being included in Wyona's notorious dinner parties! I remember the first time I saw Wyona make the sauce and I was grossed out by her pouring liquid whipped cream into a the pot. I was such a strange use of my favourite food and seemed like such a waste unwhipped. Little did I know how delicious whipped cream is as a sauce base. All grown up, now I know. Mmmmmmm, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember Wyona telling me about this recipe when I lived with her for a few weeks in Ottawa in 1997 right before I got married. I have never made it. But it brought to mind then, and now of course, some words of Grandpa Doral that Arta told me. She said that he would always say, "if something is good, it is better with whipping cream." I have a patch of chives in my garden. I will make this at some point this summer.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.