Thursday, January 14, 2010

Happy Birthday, Grandfather Doral

Hello,

Today was the day we celebrated my dad's birthday, though I can't remember with what? Maybe it was with the phrase, happy birthday dad, for I can't remember people and parties with the family. He did celebrate with all of his other friends who had birthdays in January, for mother would have a big party in those days where they celebrated all January birthdays. Of course other guests came -- you didn't have to have a birthday that month to be party of the party. I liked the aftermath of the party -- the next day there would be food left-overs for the merriment the night before.

I do remember ice cream, but he liked to have a 2 1/2 gallon tub of that in the freezer at all times, not just on his birthday.

If I am around someone under four years old today, I am going to play a game of "Sheep" with them in his honour.

If I am around someone under 10 years old a game of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John will do, or perhaps Fizz-Fuzz.

Because it is his birthday, he has been on my mind today -- mostly with images of a tennis racket in his hand, a badminton racket, a silver dollar in his hand for the "quarter game" or a deck of cards, either for a game of Rook with us, or showing us some card trick.

Nice to have memories like that.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Are you in Calgary? If you are, I will bring my kids by for those fun Grandpa games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For his birthday this year I visited the Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam. While I was there a school full of children were having their 'Olympic Games' and I toured the small museum of memorabilia. Sadly it was all in Dutch and I had to make up the information I was seeing. No pictures of Doral there as they focused on Dutch athletes but it was wonderful to visit.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.