Sunday, January 3, 2010

One Last Christmas Gift

January 2, 2010

I told Alex that since we would be together at the Shuswap for the week after Christmas, I would go to the kitchen and make him anything his heart desired. He didn’t have to think long to come up with his number one choice: crème brulee made with goat’s milk.

Now where did that request come from? I never choose crème brulee when I am at a dessert buffet, -- except for the times when I take a sample to check again and see why it is that others like why others like the queen of custards and I don’t.

I held off all week filling his request, since my kitchen equipment doesn’t include the blow-torch that is needed to melt the brown sugary topping into a golden caramel sauce, finishing off the dessert’s presentation.

Yesterday was my last opportunity to deliver on my promise with or without the blow torch so I got out the goat’s milk, eggs and sugar and began to whip up his request, using an internet recipe for crème brulee.

I slipped the final product under the broiler in the oven for that finishing touch to the sugar. I didn’t get five stars on the final product from Alex. Alex did acknowledged I had done my best and ate half of the 8 x 8 pan

Doral's old saying, if it is good it is better with cream, does not apply to goat's milk.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.