Saturday, May 1, 2010

From our complicated lives to yours ...

From Rebecca Johnson:

Steve and I fell into bed last night asking the same thing... or rather.... Steve saying we deserved the good parenting award (for not killing our kids ourselves). :-)

Or maybe the kids deserved the good-kids-award for putting up with parents like us?

For me.... the day started at 5 a.m.(had a migraine that woke me up from sleep, so got up to do the rituals of drugs, steaming, driving to Tim Horton’s to find some real caffeine to help [since we have switched to decaf at home for Steve at the directions of steve’s dr].

Then I got ready for a 7 am phone interview with CBC radio in Yellowknife (on an inquiry absolving the police in yet another ‘drunk homeless aboriginal guy dies in police cells after having been left in his own vomit and feces for 13 hours then getting pneumonia from the aspirated vomit') ... then drove kids to school, paid overdue childcare amounts at daycare (they didn’t invoice for last 3 months), came home to start marking exams; got call from CBC TV in Yellowknife asking me to redo the morning’s radio interview but on TV for the dinner hour news show in the north [which meant driving 30 minutes downtown to their TV studio in the basement of the legislature for a satellite hookup, getting wired with mics and earpiece to discover their phone line was down, Telus arriving to fix it while I sit 30 minutes in a chair connected to wires and waiting, finally all systems go for 4 minutes of talk time, then driving 1/2 hour home]; coming home to continue marking; driving to school to pick up Duncan to take to his dyslexia tutor (where I wait for the 1 hour of hard work, trying to mark another exam); then home start marking YET AGAIN.

Then dinner about to start and interrupted by a call from Jeremy’s mom asking if Jeremy (Alex’s friend) is there yet (was he coming?! No one told me that?!), and telling me to have him call once he arrives... Then a call from Jeremy’s step-dad asking if Jeremy is there yet (huh?!), then Jeremy finally arriving.... he was playing at Braden’s (we are then told) and Braden got grounded for swearing at his gramma, so Jeremy had to leave, but has no house keys and his mom wasn’t home yet so he called Alex and Alex said come over (but didn’t tell us that).

Alex and Steve were scheduled to go to fitness club but now Jeremy is there, so instead I work on the homework with both boys; then jeremy’s mom arrives to get him; then steve and Alex off to the club to work out (with alex complaining loudly all the way); then cursive homework with Duncan, then piano practice, then French reading; then Steve and alex return and we switch, so I do homework with Alex, and Steve helps duncan finish off his work; then Steve lays down by Duncan; I lay down by Alex; then I get up and mark til 11 pm (when Steve wakes up from laying by duncan, and we both head off to bed.).

All in all, I got a total of 3 exams marked.

Sigh.

Thought it would be more. But can’t imagine how I could have got more in there....

R

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! I had to remind myself to breathe during that post. My anxiety went up, way up while reading. Keep surviving!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.