Sunday, April 10, 2011

Saturday Morning at the Opera

The four of us at the opera
I took my early morning walk to London Drugs on Saturday.

I needed to purchase enough Easter candy to fill my purse for the opera: the Met - Live in HD.

I also went through Thomas' candy stash to flesh out with chocolate bars, varieties of which I hadn't bought at the store.

I was so busy getting the treats ready that I remembered everything to tuck into my bag but my wallet, so it was a surprise to me when I got to the ticket wicket and had no money, no matter how deeply I dug through the various treat bags in the shoulder handpurse.

"Just one picture, Grandma."
Doral brought Dalton and Ceilidh down to the Cineplex where we met for the opera. At the very minute he entered the theatre with them, is the moment when I had decided no money, so no opera for us.

So being still at the ticket wicket, the kids went to the opera on Doral's credit card.

The opera was charming.  The real treat is to listen to Rossini's Comte Ory while sitting between two grandchildren.  As well, at the intermission we heard that the tenor had just helped helped to midsives deliver his first baby 1/2 hour before the performance began.

Dressed up for Rossini's Comte Ory
Wyona and Lurene were at the movie as well, sitting well ahead of us.

The line-up for the performance was long at 10:30 am.

A woman who was in the line-up with us said, "Excuse me, but could you tell me why there is a long line-up. I am here to exchange tickets for an afternoon movie. Why are the rest of you here?"

Small groups of opera crowd explained why we are liniong up so early Saturday morning.  We  are getting to know one another for it was just last week that many of the same crowd saw Iphigenie en Tauride, together.  Someone told me that they had also seen Carmen last week in 3-D over at Country Hills -- broadast from London, but I haven't seen that advertized, which is probably good for my wallet.

There are 2 more performances coming this month: Captriccio and Il Trovatore.

As well, Miranda and Richard came up with some tickets for the Calgary Opera production of Aida.  I told them that I am used to the second balconey tickets, so it was a treat to be on the main floor and sitting beside Charise and Lurene as well.

The blue accordian fold on table is the catapillar
On Saturday, we decided Meighan is too young to go and read the subtitles so she stayed home for craft time.

She made a house for her blue cardboard caterpillar, which she was pleased to show me when we took the older kids home.

Meighan
I, of course, was trying to capture her cute little face, with a blue tattoo on her cheek and red streaking in her hair.

Arta

1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.