Monday, April 11, 2011

Happy Easter

hens, nests and eggs
When Easter comes later, rather than earlier in April, there is more opportunity for celebration.

I would have let decorating the house pass me by, but the international students are always asking about celebratory customs, wanting to know the difference between secular and religious holidays.

I decided to explore their interest and slipped out to the garage to survey the shelves for boxes of decorations labelled EASTER.

I have eggs stashed away that we blew out years ago.

Remember when we would put pin pricks in the tops and bottoms of raw eggs, blow out the centres and then colour the empty shells and hang them on a tree.

egg decorating by blowing out the centres of eggs
I can still feel the ache in my cheeks after blowing out a couple of dozen of those.

I can remember fishing bits of broken egg shells back out of the bowl into which only the whites and the eggs yolks were to fall.

As well,  I can still remember the taste of  the raw eggs that somehow reached my lips instead of ending up in the bowl of middles that we made into scrambled eggs later.

There is no one who can remember eating those scrambled eggs without having to pick out the stray shell here or there.

Amazing that anyone can still love Easter after bringing up those old memories.

I am not introducing the guys who live here to the pleasures of colouring eggs, either the empty shells or the hard-cooked ones that we used to roll down the hills on Easter morning..

the really good treats are long gone from this dish
For Easter joys, I did a candy run to London Drugs and what you see here are the less preferred of the candies that I brought home.

All that is left from what I bought are some Easter ju-jubes, some malt balls and a few foil-wrapped chocolates.

Two weeks to go ... and more Easter treats to come.

Home-made hot cross buns are next on my list of tangible Easter joys.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. i can't believe that those are the unpreferred candies?! those are my favourites!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.