Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Montreal Community Clean-Up

From Eric Jarvis

I thought you would like to hear about another of Cathy's community projects. She organized an Interfaith cleanup of an inner city park, and it was a great success! Her co-organizers were predicting 50 people would come to the event, but more than 200 participated, the numbers swollen by LDS from around the stake. We were assisted by a smattering of others: Jews from a local synagogue, members of the Christian-Jewish Dialogue of Montreal, members of a local (Filipino) Catholic congregation, members of a peace group in Montreal, and even a small Muslim delegation. We scoured the park in less than two hours and miraculously the rain held off long enough to permit a relatively dry event. Even Mark Garneau gave some opening remarks and everyone that participated wants to have another event like this. Thank you, Cathy, for organizing this community event!

4 comments:

  1. How about a few pictures of the event, Catherine?

    Arta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to say one thing about community parks. I have been walking through Centennial Park and every day I see something new, am amazed at design or colour or the maintenance that goes on. That last time I was there, I was picking up sticks that had fallen in the wind and when I had an armload, I laid them down by the community garbage can that I noticed being used by all of the people who were walking their dogs and then picking up after them. I knew that when I was walking and cleaning up at the same time, that I had moved from just enjoying the park to believing I have an investment in it and want to keep it clean. I liked that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a very windy day here in the Shuswap. When we arrived home we saw a 18 foot birch tree laying on the ground very close to our other car. Whew! So glad it missed our car and our heads. Clean up around the yard after that day meant picking up a lot of branches. If we had been in Montreal, we would have come out to your clean up the park day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about some photos from the Montreal cleanup?

    :)

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.