Friday, July 1, 2011

Canada Day 2011

It's a beautiful, quiet day in Annis Bay.

Angels are watching over.

The sun is shining, the lilies are in bloom, the columbine is creeping up the wall.

The pole beans are climbing up the lattice, and the mountain meadow has given birth to some orange flowers I have yet to look up in a Native Plants book.


The water is coursing down Campbell Springs, and to our surprise, a Robin has built a nest right on the motion detector light on the east side of the house.

She keeps three eggs warm between her constant vigil on the nest and the incubator effect of an outside light that no longer turns off.


Some neighbors are out celebrating by searching for tiki torches for a camp out.

Others have headed in to Salmon Arm for the Children`s Festival.

Another is out doing good deeds that have been caught on camera.

It is so beautiful here.

Look how tall the raspberry bushes are!


Hoping you are all having a Happy Canada Day!

4 comments:

  1. I gave the major part of my Canada Day over to general cleaning chores. But I taped the CBC Canada Day version of the Party on Parliament Hill, complete with celebration of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attending along with hundreds of thousands of my fellow Canadians.

    What a show! Did anyone else see it?

    I thought Mary might take her family and go, but they had just returned from a different Canadian show -- off to Toronto to see the Tabernacle Choir and then over to Niagara Falls and Marineland as well.

    When Rhiannon saw Niagara, she said, "I am so thirsty, I want to drink that waterfall."

    What a treasure to live in a land where the water is pure, available and where a child feels she has the right to drink the whole thing.

    I loved the parliament hill party: the woman who swung trapeze-like from a rope, the dance with the roller-blades, the red-dressed drummers, the peasant shifts and the workbooks of the women who clogged during one of the songs.

    I came away singing, "I'm Gonna Getcha Good" and firmed up the lyrics to the song when I was going to bed and listened to the radio broadcast of the same show I had seen on T.V.

    Who was that singer? She did a great job on Shania Twain's old song.

    And that made me think about how much fun we are gong to have at the Roots and Blues Festival come August in Salmon Arm.

    Richard, Miranda and the Joel Harding Family went to the football game over at McMahon Stadium (after doing a very Canadian good deed and mowing their neighbour's lawn). I was too tired to stay up and watch the fireworks from the Football Game but I am still thinking of the ones at the Canada Day Party on Parliament Hill and will watch that tape again.

    What a spectacular display in the sky.

    Oh Canada!

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a good view of Canada Day in Winnipeg, check out the photos on Tonia's Wistful Voyages Blog:

    http://wistfulvoyagetonia.blogspot.com/2011/07/signs-of-canada-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Canada Day Family Fun in Calgary, check out what the Johnson kids did:

    http://apaladinincitadel.blogspot.com/2011/07/what-we-did-on-canada-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. A short month until I get to enjoy Annis Bay too. One of the most loved places on earth!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.