Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Compass and the Book

Qibla compass that points to Mecca
This is a picture of a light and portable instrument for calculating the qibla, the direction of Mecca.

At the top is painted the holy sanctuary of Mecca with buildings on either side.

Around the compass are listed 28 cities, many of which are in the Ottoman Empire.  At the bottom of the compass is a universal prayer with a mosque lamp.

Through my mind darted the question, which came first? The qibla or the liahona?

Illuminated Hajj book
"Illuminated documents with seal impressions of officials at the sanctuary of Medina" -- that was the title given to this document.

And the text said that at the top of this document are three elaborate tughras (signatures)and the seal impressions of officials at the Sanctuary of Medina. I stood for a long time looking at that paper and remembering back to some of the early free lectures I used to go to at the university. Once I read about a  lecture on Illuminated Manuscripts and not knowing what they were I slipped up to Special Collections after work to sit in on the presentation by the Group for Mediterranean Studies.

When it was through, they invited everyone present to go to supper with them at a local Mediterranean Restaurant -- the department would be paying. I was too shy to go and horrified that someone had noticed I was there and had invited me to come along.

I was too shy to do it then.  Am probably to shy to do it now.  Hard to find the courage to eat and chat with academics.

But I can stand for a long time in the museum and enjoy the beauty of the gold decoration in the illuminated texts.

Fun to see the links between my religion and the Muslims: a compass and golden script.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.