Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lucian Freud: Portraits

Lucian Freud Catalogue Cover

... self portrait in a mirror ...
I readied myself for a long stay in the exhibit after pre-reading the catalogue.

I packed my heavy purse and coat into a locker and just kept a sweater and some double strength Tylenol in my pocket.

When I would wear out, I would found a room with a large bench in the middle of it, and sit there, playing the audio over and over, since it takes a while to see the details of some of the paintings – and it also takes a while to get enough rest to keep going.

"What's On"  front cover image, a detail from:
The Girl in Bed
In Lucian Freud’s early work, there is already the evidence of genius. In the 60’s and 70’s he was already ahead of his times with the representation of nudes.

A larger studio at the end of the 70’s gave him the ability to draw the surroundings around his figures, and the cityscapes in windows beyond.

You probably know that a painting of Freud’s Sue Tilley sold for £17 million at auction in New York City, the largest sum ever paid for the picture of an artist who is still living.

On display in London are the paintings of her called “Benefits Supervisor Resting”, “Benefits Supervisor Sleeping”, and “Sleeping by the Lion Carpet”. Sue Tilly modeled for Lucien Freud on the advice of Leigh Bowery, a performance artist, and the pictures of him are iin another room by themselves.  I came home to do a Google search on his name as well.

“Do you like the pictures of Sue Tilley”, I heard one fashionable young woman ask her svelte friend.

I could hardly wait for the answer.

“She is famous. She is famous.”

Whether she liked the pictures didn’t seem to matter. It was that the modeling had made Sue famous.

Benefits Supervisor Sleeping
Photo Courtesy Lucian Freud Archive
The curator writes that “Sue Tilley (or Big Sue, as she came to be known) lies languidly on the sofa in a bohemian artist’s studio, far removed from her day job as a civil servant working for the Department of Social Security. Freud was initially fascinated by her size, however as time passed her proportions became more ordinary to him. Freud’s portraits of Tilley are a celebration of flesh and as feminine as Manet’s Olympia or the Rokeby Venus by Velazquez, although far less idealized.”

Exhibits like this are more fun to attend with a friend, rather than alone.

Not that I didn’t enjoy the day.

Still, I wish someone of you had been there to go with me and chat along the way – especially when I came to the figure that had two shadows, one shadow going left and one going right. But that would be a post for another day.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. I would have liked to have gone with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are the person I would have liked to have had by my side. I would have loved your critique as we walked along in the gallery. Obviously, I want to talke about the pictures yet ... the surprise of nudes that are not airbrushed or idealized in the first place. And then my own curiosity, after reading the Lucian Freud painted the landscape of the human form. I caught the idea in some of the painting at first that were only about the human head -- painting where he got in and looked from above, like a tilt shot from above in a movie. And another image stays with me, one where about half of the portrait is only the man's forehead.

    And when I was looking at some other paintings I found myself looking at the painting, then examining my own hand, then looking at the painting again, and then back at my aging hand, looking at the raised veins and the sculpted skin in real life and then looking at it back in the painting.

    As to the Sue Tilley paintings, sheesh! If you had been there and if we had been accompanied by some of my other friends who like to go to galleries ... we would have stayed so long that the gallery security would have had to kick us out.

    And that would have meant that in London, we would just go and find a local pub where the conversation would have continued until we missed the last bus home.

    Arta

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.