Thursday, February 2, 2012

Enjoying each moment of the day

Moiya and I thought we would slow down when Wyona left.

That hasn't been the case.

She trained us to run from one tube stop to the next, to look for day-seats or concessions at theatres, and to watch the signs along the streets for good sales.

Here is one that stopped me: a sign that promises "The Great British Breakfast" and in small print on the sandwich board is an alternative selection inviting me to  "try the ten deadly sins".  Perhaps I can try those when I get to hell.  No time in life to do so.

I wish I could have stopped for a minute and gone inside, but our agenda was too full and our time too short.

Moiya is the one who found the Crumpled sign an attractive one.She had to explain to me that this is a shop, like a sandwich shop,where what you buy can be put into a bag -- a crumpled one.
 ... crumpled ...

I rarely stop to look for a place to eat. I have a l-o-n-g period of time that I can go without food -- especially when everything around me is so new.

I am reading the marquees, rubbing the ornate brass knobs on doors, running my hands over the inlaid marble on walls or feasting my eyes on the wrought iron decorative stair railings.

Benson's MapGuides
My Handy London Map and Guide is at least five years old.

The cover is detached from the main part of the book.

I have ticked off the markets, castles, museums and theatres I have visited so that I can easily identify what I want to do next.  Those first pages are the best lists of events or places a person might visit in London to make the most of their time there.

In the margins of my book are written favorite bus numbers -- ones that will get me up to Warren Street or that will give me fast access to the theatres on the Strand.

I got lost trying to find Seven Dials, even though I had studied my map before leaving the house and kept checking every two blocks to see if I was still on track.

My feet know the streets along Oxford and Regent and I can move at a break-neck pace along them. I defy anyone to try to keep up to me there -- my secret way of trying to get someone to travel the streets with me.  A trip is always more fun together than alone.

"isn't there one more thing we can think of to do tonight"
Moiya discovered the way to take pictures in sepia and in black and white. When I saw this one on my camera I was wondering what we are doing there so late at night.

There is not a soul in the Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Shop behind me, and in fact, we are sitting out on the mall -- the first time we could find a seat there, so it must have been well after midnight and we were wending our way home.

Such delicious fun -- dinner, a show, then a movie, every night.

Tired but I like to keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.