Sunday, August 18, 2019

Elk Lasagne

... eating elk lasagne, another first for me ...
Elk Lasagne.

That is what Richard made for dinner today.

He started at 11 am and by 4 pm the last touches were finished in the kitchen and the two 8 x 11 inch Pyrex pans were in the oven. 

In the evening, I came late to the party.

The first pan of lasagne was gone. I found a spatula and wiped the pan clean of all of the wonderful bits that had been left behind. That part just looked so good. Then I took my portion from the next pan.

I was blown away by the taste. The sauce had the usual Italian spices and then he had added some fennel and some other herbs to the meaty sauce: 4 pounds of lean ground elk, some caramelized onions, some crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and then parmesan cheese, cream cheese and mozzarella cheese layered between the lasagne noodles.

Sumin was eating with me. I asked her if she had tasted lasagne like this in Italy. She said they were in the very north, close to the German border which had influence the cuisine there – so no, she hadn’t ever tasted anything like that, even in Italy.

I could feel a message in every bite, my body saying, “You should only be eating one half of this portion, it is so good. Nothing this good can be good for you.”

I asked Richard how he felt about the meal. He said it didn’t meet his expectations. I think he set the bar a little high. I have never eaten lasagne that good. He is getting a 10/10 from me. I had to turn to him every bite with a new compliment.

I was telling Kelve about my meal as I visited with him in the hospital, telling him about eating elk lasagne among other things that had happened that I thought he might be interested in hearing. On leaving I asked him what was the highlight of all of the news I had brought him today.

He said, “The elk lasagne.” That was the highlight of my day as well.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I am still full from the elk lasagne of last night. Still I felt like having some for breakfast. I saw Richard put away a few containers of it for his lunches this week. What sucks is that I want to go over there and take the food right out of his mouth, as it were ... take those three containers home and have them for my lunches this week instead.

    I hope I never forget the taste of elk lasagne.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.