Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Shopping in August

... a Barbie with wings ...
I shouldn’t really say I was shopping today.

While Michael was getting his hair cut, Betty, Alice and I walked in the mall to entertain ourselves.

They didn’t even bring their purses along, so I know they had no idea of purchasing something.

I let them take the lead as so what they wanted to look at.

Apparently the fashion of choice for them is anything that has sequins, the kind of sequins that a person can run their hand over, and have the sequins change colour: reverse sequins, flip sequins or flippables as some people call them.

Alice takes the box from the shelf
This fashion can be seen on backpacks, t-shirts, shoulder purses and even on jeans.

Besides the flippables, Betty also has a fascination for hair bands and tiara’s.

She doesn’t want so much to look at herself with them on, but instead to put the bands on her hair and then have Alice look her, which Alice seems to be able to do quickly and then get back to whatever is interesting her.

... the girls look at the contents of the box on the back ....
Betty has a bit of trouble getting the band back out of her tight, curly blonde hair, but with enough wiggling she can get the bands back on the shelf.

There is no way she is going to let me give her help.

The tiaras don’t just come in rhinestones anymore.

Some have bunny ears, others have a unicorn on the tiara, or soft, red velvet roses – just about anything a person can imagine.

... Betty pretends to read from the box ...
I thought this would be the highlight of our shopping trip, but I was wrong.

The real happiness occurred in Toys R Us, in the first isle, which was filled with Barbie boxes.

Barbie now comes with long rainbow tress, and also in a package with Skipper and an even smaller doll which needs to be pottie trained, apparently, for even that accessory is in the package.

I don’t know that I would buy Barbie as a dentist, complete with a dental chair and someone in it, but there must be a market out there.

... Mermaid Barbie whose tail lights up ...
Perhaps the ultimate package was the $269 doll house – that was a package that would require a cart to get it to the check-out stand.

The girls didn’t seem to want to buy the Barbies.

They just wanted to make sure that I read the name plates under each Barbie and so I did.

We went up and down the isles experiencing such joy in touching each package and knowing what it was called.

Thus endeth my shopping fun in August.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. Bonnie is grateful for having a shopping trip without having to walk or remember where she parked her car

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky on this trip. Since I was with Miranda, it was she who had to remember where the car was parked.

    There was a lot of walking involved, but most of it was voluntary. I am still trying to get more steps in every day than the average 79 year old.

    As to having tiara's, when one is purchased for Betty she wears it for many days. I often tell Miranda that buying a triara for Betty is not a waste of money if Miranda would divide up the cost per days of wearing Betty's wearing it.

    I am not sure you would get the same value if one was purchased for Duncan, unless of course, he would lend it to Betty in which case, it would be worn as long as she could find it.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.