Tuesday, August 13, 2019

On planning for the unplanned

My current options for packing.
A post for loved ones who have had recent unplanned extended hospital visits.

My thoughts, upon hearing of your current unexpected accommodations, turn to the practical. 

If you had known you would be spending  time in a hospital, what might you have packed? 

It is a list of wants I'm after,  not necessities. 

I look through my suitcases to give myself some boundaries for this exercise. 

But what fun is that? 

We are already in fictional territory, for how can one truly plan for the unplanned? 

...
Bag of holding details in the 5th Edition Dungeon Masters Guide.

Wishing for a longer couch.
I creep up the stairs.

I reach for the well-worn pull on the antique armoire that holds the text I seek.

The hinges squeak.

The slumbering high elf's eyes snap open.

I freeze.

I had been hoping to avoid detection, not having dressed for the occasion.

I hold my breath.

I wait.

His eyes stare straight ahead, not seeming to process his surroundings, then snap back shut.

I retreat rather than risk fully awakening the rogue.

Back in the warmth of my bed it hits me.

No bag of holding needed.

No suitcase.

For there is no planning for the unplanned, by definition.

1 comment:

  1. I have been going to the hospital every day to see Kelvin Jr. I take the #20. When I get to the Rockyview I find that though I have planned what i should have in my backpack, it is often not there.

    Now I have a 3 x 5 index card just as I am going up my stairs to leave and on it is a checklist for me so that I can recheck what should be in my backpack.

    Even with the checklist today, I forgot important documents to take to the bank with Richard and I forgot a tape measure to get some information from Kelvin so that we can make him a second housecoat. One will have to do, since even with the best planning, I can't plan for the unexpected (leaving stuff on a table instead of getting it into my packback).

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.