Sunday, July 25, 2021

Steamboat Island



Now, this is not an island.

After rolling the humor of a 50 foot dirt outcropping getting the title of island, and steamboat conjuring up an image of steam boat willy... I now find a bit of logic to the name, maybe it is understandable.  


It is a lighthouse outcropping in fact.  So you could make an argument that it is a boat (steamboat or otherwise) outcropping to tell boats to give a bit of distance between themselves and the north shore of annis bay






Another marker.  Another name for another special spot that is in my world.  It is worth it to me to remember steamboat island.  just like it's of worth to remember western tanager.  Or western teenager.  Depends on if you need a memory device or in fact you remember the correct words from the beginning.  On a related note, I never drive past field without thinking burger scale.



3 comments:

  1. Burger Scale ---- you're killing me. Western Teenagers and Tanagers are spectacular to watch. Lucky if you get a glimpse of them darting through the world or hear the song of their laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My strongest memory of steamboat island (not to be confused with 'dreamboat if Barnwell') is the contrast between my dream of canoeing to an island for a picnic as a teen, and the reality of trying to picnic on an uneven surface with what seemed like a million red ants. I try to recall that Western Teenager with love as her mind darted through fiction, tried to live it out, and I can hear Arta's laughter, a laughter of wonder and love, a song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm was so confused. Had to read this post twice. You mean the lighthouse outcropping is called Steamboat island. Too much!

    Eric told me three different names kept popping up on his weather app when he was trying to get the daily forecast out at the lake. Seems like everything has multiple names. I'm not sure I can re-learn steamboat island, but your tricks are certainly helping this old teenager/tananger.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.