Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Starting a new July 1 tradition -- Part 3 -- creatures and beasties

No adventure is complete without the spotting of creatures.  You may know that I am prone to trying to catch them as well.  This time around, I just observed.

At one spot along the river bank there appeared to be a convention of small butterflies -- orange and black, yellow, and light lavender.  See if you can spot one in this photo.

The blackfoot word for butterfly is apánii (click on the link to go to an English-Blackfoot Dictionary site)


Leo spotted this little beastie in the water and said he finally understood why people who do fly fishing make the crazy looking lures they do. I myself am quite chuffed about this photo I took and how the beastie is in the shade thrown by my hat and head.


No photos of the birds, but we did spot a group of cedar waxwings and watched them for a long time as they swooped out over the river to catch bugs then retreated to the trees on the bank.  There were about 4 of them and we managed to observe them up close with the new binoculars Leo had given me for Christmas. I'm a bit of a bird nerd. They were gorgeous and my first time getting a really close look at and observing these birds.

The blackfoot word for bird is pi'ksíí and small bird is sisttsí

You can check out this link for a cedar waxwing vs. bohemian waxwing breakdown.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.