Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Wise Men

Last night David got his letter ready to give to the wise men. This morning we went down to the central plaza to hand deliver the letters. At 11 am there was the sound of a police siren, and then behind the police car were three large vehicles, each carrying one of the wise men who brought with him a suitably attired helper.

The alighted and went into a mezzanine to where there were large chairs waiting for them at the top of 10 marble stairs. There was also a lot of security there. At first I wondered why, and then I could see why. No use having the wise men mobbed by children whose letters were to be pressed into their hands.

The wise men talked to each child, taking the letters and pressing hard sweets and chocolates into their hands. Lots.

And now we wait for January 6th, for the wise men to come again and deliver the presents on the list. Joaquim asked me if I think this custom is less commercial and more religious. I told him I will have to think deeply about this.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the Wisemen are smarter than Santa Claus. I hope the Wiseman can spell Lego!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.