Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cell Phones

Cell Phones
November 17th, 2009

I am among the last to see that I might need a cell phone. Kelvin has one, but that is about safety issues for him. My land line works for me … except when I need a phone now that I am at Penbrooke every day. I have been taking his phone with me and you will see later why there is no use giving you the number of that phone. For instance, a novice cell phone user has so much to learn: take the fact that the cell phone actually has to be turned on during the day. That was my first lesson.

I think land line trumps cell phone, all of that fumbling to get the phone out of one’s purse when it rings in a shopping mall, or retrieving the phone from a deep jean pocket while driving … or even something as simple as learning to talk and drive at the same time. Tough stuff for someone who likes both hands on the wheel.

And the menu system? I am told that young kids who have lots of video experience, intuit menus and screens, how to get in and out of them. I have been practicing that as well, sometimes finding myself in an eternal loop – on a simple cell phone. Taking Kelvin’s phone along with me each day seemed like a good idea, given that he was near a landline and could, at the very least, phone me with a list of items he might want me to buy on the way home at night.

After learning all of the lessons above, still, last night I failed on one the important lessons about cell phones: remove it from your pocket before the jeans are tossed in the washing machine. Retrieving the phone when the wash is half done does not count.

Looking forward to a new day, and I have already contacted Glen to see if that old cell phone he offered me is still available.

Love,

Arta

4 comments:

  1. I discovered my lack of tech savvy when Dalton got a hold of my phone and in a matter of seconds remarked "Dad, why dont you have all of our phone numbers programmed into your phone."

    I can do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Doral.

    About the picture? Very funny. No, I did not wash my telephone in the place you pictured. It went into the real washing machine.

    Arta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't find a picture of a phone in a washing machine, yours must have been the first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leo has a cell phone.

    We've had the phone for about a year and it seems to be lost more than it is found.

    We have not been able to find it for 2 months. It may be gone forever at this point.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.