Thursday, November 12, 2009

Visit To See Kelvin

Dalton and I went to see Kelvin on Saturday.

He had 5 of his seven siblings visiting him at the same time. They were in the first-floor restaurant of the Care Centre, up near the glass window overlooking the garden and the glenmore reservoir. It looked like a family meeting.

They six of them were reading the reminiscences of Jack and Bessie, regarding the courtship and speedy wedding of the two. Bev was providing the oration. Occasionally one of the six siblings would add something that was not written down, but that they remember Jack or Bessie telling them.

Grant, Molly, Nadine, Bev and Sharon were there, along with Boyce. Cousin Anita, Andrea and Annika showed up as we were all about to leave. I teased those three about not seeing them in such a long time, and passed my home phone number along.

The Siblings and I explained the relationship between the six siblings to Dalton, and he whispered ("they're all my great aunts and uncles?"). If so, Dalton understands more of the relationship niceties that I do! Poor Dalton was bored silly with the story-telling, and would point to the spot on his wrist where a watch would be, if he was wearing a watch, to remind my of his boredom. It's interesting to see that pointing to one's wrist is a universal symbol of "let's go" even when most people no longer wear watches.

Dalton was surprised to hear about (my) Anita's attendance at Molly's pre-school. In the spirit of sharing courtship stories, I told everyone about the early days of Anita and I meeting. When Dalton and I returned home, Dalton was excited to tell Anita about my story-telling. Anita cryptically replied that sometimes the stories differ, depending on who is doing the telling.

I'll have to get Anita to tell me her version of our meeting and early dating, to find out where the stories part company!

2 comments:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.