Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Pergo Floor


The New Pergo Floor
November 24, 2009

Glen drove in from Annis Bay to lay a Pergo floor in my Penbrooke kitchen this weekend.

As well, Laynie, Glen and I worked together Saturday, which is the equivalent of 3 days work for me. Maybe the equivalent of five days work for me, for both of them work as though they are two people.

Glen explained to both Laynie and me that getting the right tool for the job makes a difference. For example, there is a specialized screw driver that will lift staples. Using that tool is much easier than using long nosed pliers to pull up the bits of foam that are still held on the floor with a staple long after the carpet is removed.

Glen gave me advice through the day. “Let the job do the tool, but taking care that you have the right tool. Treat the tool with respect. If that is not the job for that tool, don’t force it to do work it can’t or you will end up with a broken tool and the job still not done. Lift a nail out of the floor with two hammers, using the claw end of one to get underneath of the nail. Here, hold this end of the tape measure. Do you know what that end is called. The dumb end.”

Most of the tools in the house have the name Richard on them. That is cool for Richard. Richard is a brand name on just about every tool in the house. When I buy a name-branded Richard tool, I scrape off the logo and felt-pen my name in the place I have scratched.

My favorite tool is the Richard’s Metal Retractable Scrapper. I should have known about this tool 30 years ago: it cleans off paint, scraps off dirt, and eliminates calcium deposits with just one stroke. The Metal Retractable Scrapper can cut black mold out of places that a screw driver or an chisel can’t reach.

Today, a week later, I am going to Home Depot to buy my own finishing nails for floor boards and a nail tap.

I am alerting everyone this year. I want tools for Christmas.


Please buy tools to put in the Christmas game. I will choose which one I want most to take home.

Love,

Arta


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.