Saturday, May 25, 2013

Introduction to Sign Language


May 10, 2013

I have never been on a holiday before when the cruise ship had a class called “Introduction to Sign Language”. The reason for the class is simple. There have been a group of internationals on the boat who appear to be having more fun than the rest of us – they sit on the left side of the theatre and have two signers, animated swaying to the music, signing for them, the words for the music we are hearing on stage. That is not the only place the signers are visible. A group of people taking the art class use the signers. Others are busy at Zumba – all with signers. And now, though a little late, the hearing impaired gave a class to anyone who was interested – 3 of them teaching sign language.  They provided an interpreter for the rest of us. The lovely Patrice, beautiful Doris, Bill with some introductions ... so today I can sign to ten and at least do the letters for my own name, say hello, goodbye, more (as in more food, please) ... and of course, I can still sign bullcrap from my previous lesson with the comic. I have an aching arm, trying to learn the rest of the letters in the alphabet since a few some stiff joints get in the way of the speed I am trying to match in the signers.

Resurrection Bay, Alaska
A travel agent is with the group of people who use the signers. And three signers. A few years ago, she said, someone came to the her with a carefully composed note, hand-written, asking if the agent could make travel arrangements for her to go on a cruise. The task was more difficult than the agent had imagined. She went to school to learn some sign language – not enough to be proficient, but enough to know how to get the cruisers onto the boat and having fun. And the others of us get residual enjoyment ... as I am doing. The group leave the boat tomorrow, going back to their homes in new York, Florida and Canada. I wish I would have gone over and sat with them during some of the signing. Dumb me. I can’t figure out now what was holding me back.

Resurrection Bay, Alaska
Tomorrow is the day we touch land, having gone from the Pacific, through the Bering Sea, into the Gulf of Alaska and now – finally in North America, the U.S.A. I exercised by walking the halls, then doing Zumba – went to the signing class, then to a lecture on American Madams, and sat for a while, listening to a fabulous blues guitarist – me right up front, and then off to dinner. I just want to know how my dinner companions did all of the above and slipped in a second walk and spent some time in the hot tub. Am I off my game?

Arta

1 comment:

  1. The sign language interpreters were so delightful to watch during the evening musical shows. The two men interpreters took turns signing the shows and their musical rhythms, body language and signs were so fun to watch that I missed part of the show.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.