Friday, May 31, 2013

Ketchican

May 15, 2013
... I had never seen a moveable stop sign before ...
I have to get out and look around the world more
.
Sculptures

 ... a good bye to the sun ...
Greg only wanted to go to one store today.

The store was full of marble sculptures.

Alaska green jade to begin with, but then marble from every area down the coast, different colours, and hardness and different qualities when polished.

The table that goes with those chairs cost $7,000 to ship the clerk told us.

Some people buy these sculptures for foyers of buildings, or architects come in to buy a piece that they can design a home garden around.

... still water that reminded me of the pleasure of water-skiing...



Of all of the places we went today, I treasure the time we spent in that store – all of us separating, stroking lovely pieces: platters, tables, chairs, bowls, front entry way pieces.



... in the sculpture shop ...
I was worried that the boat would go and we would be left behind, since none of the three of us could remember what time we had to be on board.

... another cruise boat passes by us ...
I looked outside to see if I could find someone from our ship who might know.

We have been on the boat 5 weeks now, so it was easy to stand in the doorway of the shop and find a tourist that I knew was from the boat.

I told Greg that it is easy to distinguish the locals from the cruisers.

He laughed and said, yes, the locals all have on rubber boats.

.. the beauty of the changing view is ceaseless ...
What I noticed is that the tourists have Celebrity brand umbrellas in their hands or the arms of the men are loaded with souvenirs their wives have purchased.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.