Saturday, May 25, 2013

WhalesTonight



The waiter at another table near us said, “Look a whale.”  It was not possible to beat the Germans to the window, even though I am very fast. There are three tables of them next to us and they have so much fun -- drinking, singing, laughing.

I got to the window and did see my first whale out of captivity, two really, swimming beside each other toward the end of the boat ... just the fins.   

Don’t some people take these cruises and never see one?

 A few days later a naturalist says that whales have been reported in the habour.  Wyona and I go to the back of the boat and see a mother and baby -- we catch sight of them many times.  The naturalist says over the loud speaker, "I haven't seen the whales that were reported in the area.  Have any of you?

I am lucky.
Arta

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous!! We love whales in our family. We have only seen them in captivity. We have been to Marineland in Niagara Falls more than once and paid to feed and touch the belugas. I have mixed feelings about whales in captivity, but I looooove seeing them from the underwater viewing area. Last time we got to see a mother with a baby that was less than a week old. I watched them swim together for 20 minutes. It was mesmorizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On seeing animals in the wild, on the way home last night I said to Rebecca, "Is that a deer in your neighbour's yard or do they have a statue of a deer in their garden." She said that the trouble with living in Victoria is that seeing a deer eating your neighbours flowers is a regular occurrence.

    Ho-hum. More animals in the wild.

    Wyona and I were talking today about the Alaska cruise because it is ridiculously cheap right now. Something like $350 to go up and $399 dollars to come back. Add another $12 a day for tips for 14 days and you have a 14 day holiday for $800, food and lodging all in.

    The bonus is seeing all of these animals in the wild.

    Seeing whales in the wild doesn't mean you can see them as you did in captivity. Only that occasional surface, the fins, the tales, the spots of water -- but still a thrill.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.