Monday, May 20, 2013

The Olympic Room


April 22, 2013

... roses delivered to the stateroom ...
Sweet! There is an exquisite room on the third floor, the wood panelling from an old ship called the Olympic, a sister ship to the Titanic. In fact, it was schedule to be launched before the Titanic, but the craftsmanship on the boat was not finished – so the Atlantic went first. The Olympic sailed for 26 years and was the finest ship – introducing private diners to eating beside window views of the ocean, and using the finest in cutlery, china and napery. This room is open for break to people who have cruised multiple times, and I am in that category now. I liked going there on the first cruise, but this cruise has picked up many elite cruisers – those who love to take the trans-Atlantic or Pacific repositioning cruises. In fact there are more of them than the regular passengers on this ship, so that Olympic Lounge is packed in the morning. I can’t get in anymore. And the papaya is long gone, should I try to slip in at the end of the dining period.

But I did slip in last one day to look at the walnut panelling and fine detailing. I must have had my nose right against the wainscoting, for one of the servers came over and asked what I was doing. When I told her I was trying to enjoy the fine workmanship, she said, “Then I have something to show you.” She took me into a private dining room that has the original chandeliers and the brass taps from many years ago.

I was down on the floor admiring the clawed feet of the table and the waitress had the table cloth peeled back so that the two of us could enjoy the patina of the old wood, marked now because it has been in service for over 75 years.

In a foyer outside there are pictures on the wall of the various old rooms and a video run filled with historical facts from someone who work a book about the Olympic. As well there are examples of a silver dining service and elegant table settings from the ship.

I was telling Wyona that though it seems trivial, what I will miss the most when I leave the boat is the exchange of silverware at every course. Hard to get tired of discovering what is in the next room on this ship. A new salad fork, a real soup spoon delivered to me, a serrated knife, a multi-pocketed white porcelain

 ... 4 o'clock tea, jam and whipping cream for Greg ...
dish for the escargot. I did not treat my family like this ... and I probably won’t when I get home, though I would like to.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.