Sunday, September 16, 2018

On watching Angry Inuk


I can't find my Truth and Reconciliation Commission's 93 Calls to Action.

I will find them when I do some deep cleaning. 

For now, I know them well enough to remember that there is one where the Government of Canada calls all churches to teach the history of the Indigenous people of Canada.  Our Bow Valley Ward hasn’t started doing that yet. I am going to do it here for anyone who wants to attend such a class until one starts in my ward or in their own ward.

Here is the assignment for this week: watch the NFB's Angry Inuk

Seal skin purse, a gift to me.
Purchased by Rebecca Johnson while visiting in Inuvik
I use this for make up or to hold loose change.
The National Film Board is showing Angry Inuk by Alethea Arnaquq Basil for free until Sept 25th.   

I watched it last night in preparation for this post.  

I have been intending to watch it and in fact did see about 18 minutes of it a few weeks ago until I was interrupted  and just didn't get back to it during the evening.  

I thought film was lovely.  I use film as my chance to travel as well as learn about Indigenous history.  Here are moments that stood out to me.

1. the picture of the little children who had just eaten raw seal and some of the blood was on their mouthes.  I admit, that image was so spectacular that I had Bonnie come and look at only that piece of the film.  I was remembering when I took a food class where I learned that all people eat the foot that is around them.  In this case, seal is the meal of the day.

2. sledding down a hill on sealskin – so right to see that scene after being told how to prepare a seal skin for sale or private use and then seeing them  use a toboggan run as a chance to scrape fibres off of the seal skin.

3. foot dancing during a protest in Toronto.  I wish there had been more of that.  I could feel myself wanting to stand up and try a few steps of that.

4. I loved the shot just going through the village and past all of the house.  As well, the image as a plane went overhead filming the community for us.   I loved being a Canadian at those two points. 

5. I stopped the film during the screen credits and read them slowly, both during the ones for the music credits and then again I stopped the screen when there was thanks going out.  So sweet and what a good use of the screen.  And a double bonus for me that I can stop the images at home, when I can’t do that at the theatre.  I miss the huge screen though.

6. I studied the Indigenous tattoos on the women.  I have seen single portraits of these tattoos before.  What felt new to me is that I wasn’t observing these tattoos now in single portraits, but as adornment on women who were living their real lives – at their computers, in their kitchens, making clothing, attending meetings at the European Union, etc.

7. I liked the thread of protest that runs through the film: protest about their chance for commercial success being taken away with an argument that can’t be sustained intellectually.

That is it for this week. 

Watch the film if you haven't yet.  We will discuss it more next week as well.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. I loved that film too, Arta. When I remember it, I get a visceral-level ache at the injustice the Angry Inuk is articulating - injustices that impact families at a food and security level. Do we call such injustices genocidal legislation, genocidal, colonial constructs? I think so.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.