Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Tailgate Carving Show

Chief Wilfred Robbins and Arta
Yesterday Wilfred asked me how I was enjoying the gathering.

I told him that the ceremony celebrating the Peace and Cooperation Treaty (for help with the Delgamuukw v. British Columbia case) was an outstanding event.  I am among those who has never seen indigenous people smoke their peace pipes together.

I was also still in love with dipnet fishing at the Farewell Canyon.

And what was there not to love about the horse riders making their two day trip in Caribou Country. 

He smiled and said,  "I have something I thought I would show you.  Do you want to see it."

... eagle carved on one set of antlers ...

If ever there was a time when I wanted to
buy something for Richard, it was now.
I went to the back of his truck and he pulled out a horn, on the end of which he had carved an eagle.

 “This is going to make a good rattle, don’t you think?” he said, shaking it as though both of us could now hear the finished product, which may be days away.

I asked if I could hold it.

He lifted up the lid of box and pulled out the head of an eagle, which I also admired.

Before I could finish looking at that he pulled out a pair of antlers that had an eagle carved on them, so that it looked like the bird was flying.

... rattle with eagle head on bottom of handle ...
“What are you showing,” said his wife who came by.

“I haven’t seen any of these things. "

"I thought I would bring them out and show them at the gathering,” he said, “but there just wasn’t time."

I wished that these items had been on a long table, displayed as they should have been, but no, I was seeing them on the back of a truck, laying on the old blanket that I had kept around me for warmth.

... Chief Wilfred Robins holding head of eagle on 2 eagle wings ...
Then he pulled out two pair of antlers, fastened them together with a screw driver and held another eagle head onto it that he had been carving.

I wanted to know how he carved these, so he brought out his electronic carving tools so that I could see them.

As well, I saw the head of an owl on one antler.

Wilfred will cut it off and let it hang as a pendant.

... screw driver holding 2 antlers together ...
By now other people were joining us, as well as members of his family, whom he introduced to me.

The event photographer came by as well and out came his camera.

This was my first tailgate antler carving show.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. A serious wow to his artistry and craft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Summer Gathering was breaking up when I got the opportunity to see Chief Wilfred's stuff. I usually hang out quite close to you and Bonnie. But I could see this was the time to go with my impulse to find out what was going on when he said he had something to show me. I just had to trust that the two of you would remember I was in your group and come and find me when you noticed I was missing. You did.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.