Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Yard Work

Yard Work I worked in the yard yesterday, doing jobs that most people would have done in the early summer.

I have a new Yardworks edge trimmer, so now that grass that edges the road going to the beach is trimmed.

I am not used to the quiet yet. I can hear the squeak of the gulls flying overhead.

I can tell the difference between their calls and that of the hawks and the peregrines. In contrast, the thunder of the train as it starts up startles me. I have already forgotten that another train passed by it while it idled on the second track.

My Bank of Ferns

No one could tell that there is a small stream that cuts this
bank of ferns off from the grass, now, could they?
While I was looking out over the bank of ferns, I saw Glen and Dave drive down to the lake in Dave’s truck and wondered where they were going.

When they came up they brought my canoe, 2 kayaks, 3 paddles, Miranda’s chair-in-bag, life-jackets and Glen had previously dried the paddleboard and brought it up.

They were careful to edge the canoe up into the trees so that it wouldn’t interfere with ploughing snow in the water.

“It was going to be a 15 minute job but other things got in the way.

We pulled in the docks and did a few other things. Now we must go for we are super late for the dinners our wives have cooked,” Glen said.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.