Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The Belly Button of B.C.

... tourist map from Askews ...
I learned where north Shuswap country
is as opposed to south Shuswap.
On my bucket list of thing to do is tour Canada.

Seeing the province of British Columbia is high on my list. 

I do know the road to Victoria, but I have been wanting to go North.

So has Dave Wood had this dream, but he can’t get Moiya to agree to throwing a tent in the back of the truck and travelling North.

She will go with him, but only if he has researched and booked B&B’s or hotels along the way.

I got my chance to go to what

I was told is the belly button of B.C. That would be William’s Lake.
Everything about this map is new to me.
I have looked at it for many minutes, maybe hours now.

 The thing I didn’t pack for my journey was an atlas.

 “Next time,” I thought.

 On the way back home I decided to make my own unconventional map so that I could remember where I had gone. Remembering that Bonnie just whips out a pen and draws pictures instead of doing words, I did the same.

... hand drawn map on the way home ....
... more of a treasure than I thought, 

so I added colour  and directional arrows...
While in Esketemc one of the handouts contained a pull out map of what the territory would look like if it had been shown with the boundaries of the different indigenous nations. 

That was cool.

Yesterday I took a big tourist map from Askews to supplement the other two maps.

 I have been studying all three maps, side by side, as I eat my meals.

 I also spend more time planning good trips to central and northern B.C.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. This is my second invitation from you to go to the Secwepemc gatherings. Now I have attended the Spring and the Summer one. A miracle, that I was in the right place at the right time to get an invitation. So grateful!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.