Saturday, June 12, 2021

Arbutus Cove: Walking where Arta walked -- Swiming where Arta did not swim

Arbutus is a short walk and an even shorter car ride from Rebecca's house.  Arta has visited this spot many times over the year during her visits to see Rebecca, Steve, Alex and Duncan.

When I hear this morning that Richard and Miranda were going to go for a swim in the ocean I quickly invited myself along.  Lucky for Richard and I, Miranda didn't want to swim, but rather was so happy to explore the tidal poos and stream of water running down the beach.  She found beautiful shells, rocks and seaweed.  And acted as our photographer to document our first ocean swim together.

Here we are ready for our swimming adventure.  Me in my sandals and Richard with his mask and snorkle.



The water was pretty cold.  We took a little break once we got up to our knees -- spent some time letting our feet get numb enough that we could brave the walk in up to our waists.


Eventually we made it in up to our necks.  We both agreed that the hardest body part to keep submerged was our hands. We also agreed that the full dunk could wait until tomorrow's swim.  so hair still dry, we started to head back toward the shore.  Richard was the first to spot a sea creature below our feet. As we looked closer, we saw more and more of this amazing creature -- all sizes, some even sporting barnacles on their backs.

I decided I was going to try to catch one.  I asked Richard if I could borrow his mask for the dunk I'd have to take to reach it.  I pushed down my fear and thought about how Arta never turned down the opportunity to try something new.


And out of the water I ran to show Miranda my new friend.




I returned the crab out into the water, but when I released him, I saw one of its buddies and had to bring it in to show Richard and Miranda too.  The size of this crab was more in line with one Richard was willing to hold.



There were several ravens hopping around the beach looking for a meal.  As we were walking back up toward the treeline, wesaw this  fellow almost complete buried in the sand I decided to give him free transportation back down to the water.



As Richard later pointed out, a highlight of today's adventure was uncontrollable giggles and joy over salty, freezing water, crabs and family bonds. I wonder what adventures await us on our next trip to the beach?
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That swim was so far out. Personally, I do not like salt water for swimming purposes. However, you guys made it look like fun but I know it was a trick. What fun to catch the crabs.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.